12-month business rates holiday for retail, hospitality, leisure and nursery businesses
The government has given retail hospitality and leisure businesses in England a business rates holiday for the 2020 to 2021 tax year, and they have also introduced a business rates holiday for nurseries in England for the same year.
Which businesses are eligible
Your business is eligible for the business rates holiday if:
- Your business is based in England
- And is in the retail, hospitality and / or leisure sector, or is a nursery
The examples provided by HMRC are:
- Shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues
- Properties used for assembly and leisure
- Hotels, guest and boarding premises and self-catering accommodation
- Properties occupied by providers on Ofsted’s Early Years Register
- Properties used for the provision of the Early Years Foundation Stage
How do I get the business rates holiday
You don’t need to do anything to be able to access this scheme. If needed local authorities will reissue your bill. If you don’t get a new bill then you can contact your local authority to see why you haven’t been given the business rates holiday.